Monday, October 13, 2008

RUN THE ROCKS 5K


This event was put on by the American Lung assoc of Colorado. I always support there events! Last year it was just a 1 mile run up the road at Red Rocks and at that time in my running world that was the hardest thing I had ever done! Now the crazy Mt Evans ascent takes the place LOL.


This year the Run the Rocks was a 5K I was thrilled and it also brought in a bunch more people! It was 2 miles down the road and THEN that wonderful 1.0 mile straight up to the top of the red rocks ampheitheater! The weather was very close to like last years! cold maybe 40 and a rain like mist. I got out my winter running attire and was ready for the challenge. The 2 miles down the road I was watching many people running fast down it. I knew that running down fast would be hard on the knees so I just went at my pace plus I had a feeling I would pass many of those people when it came to the 1 mile up! Sure enough most of them were walking! I was not fast going up it but I took it one step at a time!


Make a long story short my official time across the mat was 36:22 I was 368 out of a total of 759.

I was 30 out of 81 females in the age group I think 40-44. Females I was 185 out of 479 total.

my per mile pace was 11:47. Last year it took me about 17 minutes to just run the 1 miles up hill! So I see an improvment over last year overall mile time.


Afterwords I had some guys get a photo of me and my metal. I told Kelvin (AKA boyfriend) that he could stay home since the weather was pretty yuckie. I then went and got my SHIRT! This year I raised enough funds to earn a shirt YAHOO HAPPY GIRL DOING THE HAPPY DANCE!


I also got my goodie bag and a nice bagel from panera breads. I did not hang out to long as I was starting to cool down and feel chilled a bit.


I do the lung association runs for my mom who was a heavy smoker and is on the last part of her life do to ephazema. conestive heart failure and major depression! She is 72 and my dad who is 75 is her care taker. This last weekend two of my 3 sisters where there taking care of my mom while my dad took a short trip up to Washington state to visit his sister who is 80. So on the run on this day I ran with my heart for my mom RUTH JANE HALLIN! I love you mom and sure wish I could be there to show you my medal that I earned for you.


I also had my yearly check up this last sat and all looks great! Just waiting on the blood results back this week. My weight was down from last year I think 3-4 pounds which I pretty much knew it would be with my increase in running. I have 5 pounds that I am working hard on and would like to see them off me before I go run a half marathon at the Dec 7th Las Vegas. Will be attending that will friend Becky who is 58 and will run her first marathon, she is trying to talk me into the full 26.2 but I am planning my first marathon here in Denver May 2009. I will do the Colfax marathon I did my my first hlaf marathon at that event this last May. I want to do my first full marathon in the state and city that I live and train in! PLUS I can then say I ran 26.2 miles at elevation of 5280! I am currently running about 30-33 miles a week and will increas it before to long to about 35 and hold it there for awhile

No comments: