Wednesday, June 25, 2008

MT EVANS ASCENT YIKES WHAT A DAY







This was a day that I will never forget. Kelvin and I arrived at the start area in plenty enough time. I picked up my race package and then went and sat back in the car. We had stayed the night in Idaho Springs so was easier to get up in the am and get to the start area. I was concerned that parking might be a pain. It was not to bad.






People started to gather and pick up there packets and it was warming up a little maybe close to 40. I wore my running tights and running jacket. I had my fuel belt ready to go with water and gatoraide mix. We met some great people from out of state that came to do this event. Always neat to hear why people run let along why this crazy run.






At about 7:45 we all started heading toward the start line. You could hear wispers throught the crowd that Matt Carpenter was there today and was going to try and break the 30 yrs old record for the 14 mile run up mt Evans. I had never heard of Matt until this day. In my eyes he is the god of mt running and high elevations.






The race started in time and we were headed up. I was able to do a jog/walk the first9 miles. I had been told to just keep moving along and that I could make the cut off time of 2.5 hrs for the first 9 miles. SO that was my first goal. along the way you are near some people and can talk a little and then other times it is you and the road and the elevation and that is it! I made it the first 9 miles at a time of 2hr 10 min so I was pleased but starting to feel a bit tired. I had about another 21/2 hours to get the last 5 miles done.






Around mile 11 or so my head was getting a headache and tummy was feeling a bit yuck. I did stop at one of the aid station and got some energy drink and animal crackers. At this time I was walking and it was pretty slow, I talked to God and said just bring me through this! The mental hard part is tryin to not look further up the road! you see that you are still climbing up and it is like HELL.






At mile 13 I seen the alpine rescue vehicle coming down the road. The stopped and picked a lady up that was just a short distance in front of me. They came to me and the vehicle door opened. The driver a older man looked at me and said, "you have 15 minutes and one mile left and you do not look like you are going to make it" I agreed and in tears and a little broken heart I hoped on the paddy wagon. I sat on the floor and just wanted some gatoraide and a plastic trash can to hang my head over I knew I was most likley going to ralph! The medics looked at my hands and knew that I most likely had mile altitude sickness. So down the hill they drove me. They stopped at the half way point and I borded the school bus that would eventually take people back down to the start. BUT the medics seen I was in sad shape so they said come with us back on the paddy wagon and we will take you all the way down to the start. I was so happy to hear that. I sat on the floor again there was NO WAY i wanted to set up and see the drive down this mountain that had just kicked my ass!



It was rough ride down but I knew I would be ok. We even had to stop for some mt goats that were on the road. In my head I was thinking what the HELL who cares if there is one less mt goat on this dam road! JUST GET ME THE HELL DOWN from here LOL.






FINALLY arrived back at the start line. They took me to my car and Kelvin was near there when the paddy wagon pulled up and the doors opened. I saw Kelvin and I was in tears telling him 13 MILES DAMIT I MADE IT 13 miles! I was very emotional and my heart was broke a little. I sat there for a little while and drank my gatoraide like a good girl and started to feel like I was going to be ok. I told Kelvin all about the run and how tough it was.






We then drove town 13 miles to the middle school to the picnic they had for us all. I was not real hungry and just drank fluids and had some chips. The awards ceromony was great! Just to see all the people that made it was great. YES Matt Carpenter broke the record he did it in 1 hr 37 minutes! the ladies time was broke too! What was great too was to see the many older people who did this event. Many of these people do elevation running so they are used to being at 10K 14K elevation. Overall I am really pleased with what I did! considering I have never done an event like this I cant complain. I did not get the finishe medal but I did get a nice sweat shirt.






I cannot say yet if I will try it again next year, I do know that if I do that I have to do more elevation hikes and runs. If you would of asked me 2 yrs ago what I would be doing running 14 miles up mt evans would of not been on my list LOL






Thanks to all my great friends who supported and cheered for me. LOVE YA LL

3 comments:

Caborado said...

Sorry to hear you did not make that last cut off... alt. sickness is fickle... some days it hits hard and other days... no signs. Mt. Evans (the mt. not the race) causes many cases because it is accessible... way too easy to go from Morrison 6K ft. to 14K in a short amount of time without the body having time to adjust. There is lots of literature out there on training for altitude if you decide to do it again.
I admire your taking on the challenge... it is tough enough to walk that road but when you put time constraints on it ... well... rest up and get ready for your next race, you did well.

Tea said...

That race is NO JOKE. It take guts to do those kind of races. Be proud of that! Get rest and get ready for your next one.

Scott McMurtrey said...

The thing about the races is that it's a fight between us and it and sometimes the stupid race wins. But sounds like you have some fight left in you. I've run a few times at altitude in Colorado and it isn't always fun (or safe).