Sunday, February 24, 2008

CLIMB THE REPUBLIC BUILDING




what a great event! Kelvin and I arrived at 7:00 am. he checked in for volunteer duty. He was given the water aid station on the 35 floor, this was the last stop for anyone to get water before the get to the finish at the 53 floor. Official chip time 13:49

I went and sat down near the start area, so that I could see the elite runners start at 8:00 am. It was a great time I got some great photos. I am not sure what the first place time was but I did hear that the record was like 6 minutes. I really enjoyed being with such a large group of people it is just awesome. My start time was to be at 9:50 but the line was not to bad so I snuck in at 9:40. My legs felt pretty good considering running 10 miles yesterday. I had a little talk with my legs and said, "OK just get me to the top and I promise I will let you rest a few days after all this work this weekend" SO off I went through the start door. I started my heart rate monitor so I could see how hard I was pushing. 4th floor I was talking to myself saying wow 53 flights LOL guess I better keep moving. After that I just kept breathing and breathing I told myself you can do this! Legs were not feeling to bad. Next stop 35 floor I peaked in the hall way to yell at Kelvin. I said I AM HERE GOING UP!!! I had water on me so need to stop along the way at all.

Before I knew it I was at the 45 floor and knew I was getting closer to the 53 FINISH LINE!
It was great when you get to the finishe line. there was volunteers there that put the medal around your neck and then you also had them remove your timing chip. The view was worth a million! I got some great photos out the window looking at the sky line of Denver! It was all so worth it! I felt like I was on top of the world. OK OK I was on top of the highest building in Denver.

Once done taking photos I was into the elevator that takes you down to the lobby. The lobby area had great food and other goodies! I picked up my shirt YAHOO. I will also be getting a nice technical running shirt. April 15 the CO lung association will have a get together at a nice bar/grill restaraunt down town, they will honor the people who raised the most funds plus the people who finished in top spots. I will get my running shirt then. I raised so far 300.00 I want to say thanks to any and all who supported me on this.

What a wonderful weekend this was! Sure I will bit sore tomorrow but I would do it all again in a heart beat.

3 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

give those legs some rest! sounds like a neat event. i've never heard of anything like it.

Melissa said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I will be praying for your Mom.

Look forward to reading your blog. I found your blog on Duanes.

God Bless.

Melissa said...

oops, the last comment was supposed to be on your BACK FROM VACATION post. I'm not sure what happened.